About Wired Data Network Connectivity at Michigan Tech
Michigan Technological University maintains a high-performance data network. All campus academic and administrative buildings are serviced by fiber-optic network cabling.
Wireless Data Network
Wireless is a service available to all Michigan Tech students, staff, faculty, and their guests at no charge; it is designed to allow you to take your laptop or mobile device and roam around campus to gain access to network resources via wireless service "hotspots" throughout campus.
Connecting to Wireless
In order to fully utilize this service and gain access to the wireless network, you will need an SSL-capable browser and a WiFi certified 802.11b/g/n wireless card for your laptop or mobile device. You will then need to be in close proximity to one of the wireless service areas ("hotspots") on campus. [Wireless locations listed by building]
You will need to configure your device to access one of the following wireless networks:
- The "MichiganTech" WPA2 Secured Wireless Network, which is the recommended choice for Michigan Tech students, staff, and faculty; or
- The "MichiganTechGuest" Wireless Network, which is used by guests or Michigan Tech students, staff, and faculty who have devices that do not utilize WPA technology.
- Connect to the wireless network: "MichiganTech".
- Log in with Michigan Tech ISO username and password.
Detailed System Configuration Requirements and Settings
System Configuration Requirements
- Be within the "MichiganTech" SSID wireless coverage area.
- Be a current Michigan Tech student, faculty, or staff member.
- Have a computer or mobile device with an 802.11g/n-compatible wireless card, operating system, and drivers to support WPA2.
- Have a valid ISO User Name and Password.
- Security Type: IEEE 802.1x Authentication
- SSID: MichiganTech
- Network Authentication: WPA2
- Data Encryption: AES
- EAP type: Protected EAP (PEAP)
- Authentication Method: Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2 )
- Credentials: ISO Username and Password
- Ca certificate: not needed