Procurement of IT Equipment, Software and Consumables
Information Technology Services (ITS) is responsible for maintaining the University network, servers, workstations and peripherals to ensure that quality is maintained at reasonable cost. As such, procurement of all University IT resources and services is to be centrally managed by ITS regardless of the source of funding; all IT related purchases must be made following 2.2014.1 Procurement of Information Technology Equipment, Software, and Consumables Procedure. ITS manages the purchase of IT-related items in collaboration with the purchasing department, which has the final responsibility and authority for vendor selection and all purchasing decisions.
A centralized IT procurement procedure benefits Michigan Tech by providing:
- Brand and model standardization where appropriate
- A campus-wide inventory of hardware and software to facilitate effective planning, maintenance, upgrades, and disposal
- Pricing advantages obtained through volume purchasing and working with preferred vendors
- License compliance for software purchases
- Hardware and software with a known “support state” at the time of purchase
Effective August 26, 2013, per 2.2014 Information Technology Procurement Policy, all IT resources and services must be procured through the Office of Information Technology.
How does Michigan Tech IT determine standardized equipment? Compatibility,Warranty, and Lifecycle are strong considerations. [READ MORE]
Steps for buying IT equipment, software and consumables at Michigan Tech
- The user contacts IT User Services to place the initial request.
- User Services verifies the user's equipment needs and guided by the standardized equipment list, determines the equiment which best meets their needs.
- Once the appropriate equipment has been chosen, the customer provides User Services with a valid index to charge the purchase.
- If the customer is not authorized to approve the request, User Services will contact the department chair, director, departmental coordinator, or account custodian for approval.
- Upon approval, the order is procured, configured and delivered.
NOTICE: PURCHASING CONSUMABLES FOR YOUR IT EQUIPMENT
Need toner or ink refills for your copier or printer? To guarantee equipment compatibility, please place these orders through Michigan Tech IT; incompatible toner refills can damage your equipment and void the warranty. To order, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the make and model of your equipment, the type of toner/refill you need, and an account number for billing.
Michigan Tech IT purchases toner from a distributor that guarantees the product to be genuine and warrantied. When purchased campus-wide, we are able to determine the quantity of toner the campus needs as a whole and order in bulk. This allows us to keep supplies available on demand and results in a lower purchase cost for all affected departments.
Please contact IT at 487-1111 or email@example.com with any questions.
Michigan Tech Supported Configurations
Select a category to expand to see available options.
The following refers to non-Apple hardware. To purchase a Mac Desktop or Laptop, please contact IT Help directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 487-1111. IT User Services will also help you with the purchase of copiers or mobile devices.
How does IT classify laptops?
Presentation/Economy: An affordable, standard laptop designated for shared use in a department for conference travel, or presentations
Standard: A good general use laptop, powerful but light enough for travel. Compatible with a dual-screen docking station.
Performance: A more powerful laptop with a dedicated graphics card for heavier duty applications or video/image editing. Compatible with a dual-screen docking station.
Ultrabook: Ideal for travel and highly mobile situations, but not meant for heavy processing, or heavy data manipulation
Dell P2314H (23" screen)
|Screen size/type||1920 x 1080 (23" screen)|
|Display Input||VGA, DVI-D, Display Port|
|Other specs||4 USB 2.0 ports (3 downstream ports, 1 upstream port)|
|Sound options||Uses AC 511 USB Sound Bar (~$25)|
Dell Ultrasharp U2417H 24" monitor
|Screen size/type||1920 x 1080 (24")|
|Display Input||1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort, 1 Mini DisplayPort|
|Other specs||4 USB 3.0 ports (2 on the side)|
|Sound options||Desktop speakers (+$20)|
Dell Ultrasharp U2515H 25" monitor
|Screen size/type||2560 x 1440 (25")|
|Display Input||2 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort, 1 Mini DisplayPort|
|Other specs||4 USB 3.0 ports, Thin Bezel (nice for multiple displays)|
|Sound options||AC511 Soundbar (+$24)|